Thursday, July 1, 2010

FREE Common Sence web site

I just signed up for an awesome non-profit website, CommonSenseMedia.org. It’s a FREE website where parents review movies, TV, websites and more for kid appropriate content! In the world we live in, I think we all know how important it is to carefully guard the media that we allow our children to watch, or even to read!


Here’s how easy it is to sign up!



Step (1) Click here, Enter email address, etc (super short form)


Step (2) OPTIONAL (click “skip” if you like) or enter your kids ages.


That’s it! You’re in!


You will receive a code for a free trial from Disney Digital Books. You Do NOT have to use this code.

Step (3) Choose a Category: Movie Reviews (in theater or on DVD), Game Reviews, TV Reviews, Book Reviews, Website Reviews or Music Reviews, OR sort by age.


Step (4) Read ratings and reviews from other parents!



Toy Story 3 Sample Ratings and Review

I just took my 2 and 3 yr old to see their first movie in the theater, Toy Story 3. It was a good movie, but I really wish I’d known that there were some pretty bad “scary parts” throughout the movie. The opening scene had my son a little scared and the 3-5 minute fireball seen toward the end had him literally shaking. I felt kinda terrible. (Now my 3 yr old is kinda of a woos, so don’t NOT take your toddlers to the movie because of me, but now at least you’ve been warned.) If I’d looked up Toy Story 3 on CommonSenseMedia.org, I would seen the following:



Sex Content- Mild 1 out of 5: Mild flirting between toy characters like Ken and Barbie (it’s love at first sight!) and Buzz Lightyear and Jessie.

Language - Mild 1 out of 5: Insults like “shut up” and “junk.”

Violence & Scariness- Medium 3 out of 5: Andy’s toys narrowly escape death several times. . . [spoiler skip] . . very fiery incinerator. It’s a tense scene, and some little kids will find it upsetting.

And lots more ratings in other categories!



I’m excited to use CommonSenseMedia.org in the future, so I can make more informed decisions when choosing media to allow to my young children. I love a useful and free website and I can’t help but share with all of you!

Thanks Krazy Coupon Lady

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment